There are lots of multi-tasking beauty products out there: a lipstick that doubles as blush, shampoo that can work as a body wash…but how many products have literally dozens of possible uses? Coconut oil is one of a kind. While it was originally intended for cooking purposes, beauty addicts soon caught on. This cure-all product can do everything from moisturize skin to whiten teeth to keep hair shiny and healthy. One of the best things about this natural, organic oil is it’s easy to find: visit almost any supermarket or health food store, and odds are you’ll see coconut oil on the shelves. Grab a big tub, and use it for everything from your dinner to your skincare routine! Read on for 25 of our favorite beauty uses for the miracle product that is coconut oil.
1. Soothe Dry Skin: Winter is coming. If your skin is starting to feel extra dry, generously apply coconut oil to problem areas. It’s incredibly hydrating and moisturizing.
2. Highlighter: Instead of spending upwards of $30 on the latest highlighter, apply some liquified coconut oil to the tops of your cheeks, bridge of your nose and Cupid’s bow for an instant glow.
3. Deep Conditioner: Generously add coconut oil to wet hair when you’re in the shower. Allow it to absorb for a few minutes; the longer you let it sit, the better. Rinse it out, and be amazed by your revitalized locks.
4. Calm Sunburn: Ran out of aloe vera? Coconut oil can also work as a soothing product to calm sunburned skin.
5. Treat Blemishes: It’s often said that coconut oil can be used as a spot treatment for irritating pimples. Coconut oil is packed with fatty acids, vitamin E and anti-inflammatory agents, all of which can keep acne at bay and prevent future breakouts.
6. Soothe Eczema: If you want to try a natural approach to dealing with eczema, apply coconut oil daily. It will moisturize your skin, reduce redness and calm itchiness.
7. Hand Cream: Rub a quarter-sized amount of coconut oil into dry, cracked hands for an instant moisture pick-me-up.
8. Anti-Frizz Treatment: Liquify coconut oil, spritz it all over damp hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave it on for up to two hours, then shampoo. Rinse it out, and you’ll have frizz-free strands.
9. Prevent Split Ends: Apply coconut oil to the ends of wet hair post-shower to prevent split ends.
10. Natural Deodorant: Many people steer clear of common drugstore deodorants. If you’re an all-natural lover, apply some coconut oil to your underarms as an alternative.
11. Night Cream: If you feel like heavy night cream is clogging your pores and leading to breakouts, switch to natural coconut oil. A thin layer will hydrate skin without the heavy residue of many other moisturizers.
12. Foot Moisturizer: Massage a heavy dose of coconut oil into your feet, and put on a pair of socks to lock in moisture. You’ll wake up with soft, smooth feet.
13. Natural Bug Spray: Mix half a cup of coconut oil with 10 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle. Shake it up and spritz all over to keep bugs away.
14. Massage Oil: Combine a cup of liquified coconut oil (pop it into the microwave for a minute, then let cool) with an essential oil of your choice. Lavender is particularly calming. Shake it up, and massage the oil into your skin.
15. Face Mask for Oily Skin: Skin feeling extra oily? Mix two tablespoons of coconut oil with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Apply it to your skin, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse off and pat dry!
16. Face Mask for Dry Skin: Combine two tablespoons of coconut oil, two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of almond milk in a bowl. Apply it to your face, keep it on for five minutes, rinse off and pat dry. Your skin will be instantly hydrated.
17. Eye Cream: Eye creams can be expensive. If you want to save some bucks, use coconut oil as a simple DIY under-eye cream that won’t irritate the delicate area. It will soothe and moisturize fine lines and bags.
18. Shaving Cream: Just because it won’t form a lather, doesn’t mean it’s not effective! Apply it to your legs and prepare to be amazed at the close shave…plus, your legs will get some moisture at the same time.
19. Facial Exfoliator: Combine half a cup of coconut oil with two tablespoons of brown sugar. Apply it to your face in gentle, circular motions. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
20. Makeup Remover: Apply liquid coconut oil onto a cotton pad and wipe all over your face. Rinse with warm water. It’s a gentle, effective way to remove even the most stubborn makeup.
21. Oil Pulling: Swishing a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth for twenty minutes can help freshen your breath and whiten your teeth.
22. Cuticle Oil: Applying liquified coconut oil to your nail beds can help repair cracked cuticles and ensure a long-lasting manicure.
23. Tinted Lip Balm: What you need: a little tin, coconut oil, essential oils of your choice and your favorite lipstick. Put a scoop of coconut oil in a bowl, add in a slice of lipstick (literally slice off the top of one). Microwave the mixture for about 30 seconds. After the formula is melted, add in a few drops of essential oil to boost hydration. Pour it all back into the tin and refrigerate. The next morning you will have a totally unique and custom lip balm! (Tip: the more lipstick you add to the mix, the more opaque the balm will be.)
24. Stretch Mark Cream: Using coconut oil for stretch marks was one of the original popular uses of this multi-tasking product. Unfortunately, it won’t fade any marks, but it can help prevent new ones from forming. Expectant mommies should keep a jar on stand-by.
25. Dandruff Treatment: Apply a little coconut oil to your roots before bed and massage it in. Not only will this help to reduce the appearance of dandruff, but it will also improve hair growth.
***Storage tip: Coconut oil works best at room temperature (or liquified, for things like body oil). It doesn’t have to be refrigerated – you can always pop it in the fridge if you choose to, but it will be more difficult to use in your DIY recipes.
Do you use coconut oil? If not, will you start? Let us know in the comments below and on PAMPADOUR.COM!
Image via CoconutOil.com