A ponytail doesn’t have to be reserved solely for the gym or running errands. A ponytail can transform into a sleek, polished evening look with just a few tweaks and upgrades. Read on for our tips and tricks for turning the ponytail into a sophisticated style that will turn heads all night long.
There are two vastly different, yet equally gorgeous evening-appropriate ponytails that we just can’t get enough of. The first is shiny, sleek and minimal, while the other is voluminous, fun and flirty. The one thing they have in common? Both look like they took a lot more time and effort than they did. That can be our little secret. Check out how to create them both, below.
SLEEK, LOW PONYTAIL
This look is both modern and incredibly elegant. It’s so chic and looks fantastic on just about everyone. I personally think it looks best with center-parted hair, but if you find center parts to look too severe, you can part it wherever your heart desires. Here’s how to get Kim’s look, step-by-step.
1. Comb your damp hair and part it down the middle. Use a wide paddle brush to blow-dry it straight. If you need to flat iron your hair to get it stick straight, go for it. For some tips on flawlessly flat ironed hair, check out this post.
2. Unless your hair has a tendency to get oily quickly, apply product to your hair to ensure your hair is sleek, frizz-free and keep flyaways at bay. I love using Agave Oil Treatment – it works like magic.
3. Now the fun part: creating the ponytail. Slightly tilt your head back to eliminates any bumps in your hair. Pull your hair back toward the nape of your neck and secure with an elastic.
4. Take a small amount of long hair from the bottom of your ponytail, and wrap it around the elastic until you reach the tip of your hair.
5. Tuck the tips under the ponytail and secure with a bobby pin (or as many as you need) to make it look seamless. The goal is to make sure the hair tie isn’t visible.
6. Take your favorite hairspray (love L’Oreal’s Elnett!) and spritz away to tame any flyaways or frizz.
7. If you want to take your ponytail to the next level, dress it up with crystals, ribbons, headbands, feathers…whatever you can think of! Have fun with it and make it your own.
BUMP IT UP!
This completely different take on the evening ponytail has a retro vibe and is all about va-va-volume! You have to essentially tease the crown of your hair and pull it all back for a style that screams bombshell. For the step-by-step, keep reading.
1. Start by blow-drying your hair straight. Go over it with a flat iron if you want to, but I tend to think this look looks better with as much volume as possible and some soft waves, so I’d skip that step.
2. Pick up the top layer of your hair up at the crown and begin back-combing to create that teased effect. If you want a little help with adding some oomph to your hair, try Not Your Mother’s She’s a Tease Volumizing Hairspray. If you have fine hair or want to just go really big, try a hair insert. I’m not talking about a Snooki-from-The-Jersey-Shore-Bump-It, but there are natural inserts that will give anyone an extra pop. Try this simple-to-use one by Conair. As for the actual tail, you can clip in ponytail extensions if your hair is thin. Bellami has affordable clip-in extensions that are easy to use and YouTube beauty gurus adore!
3. Pull up the rest of your hair and wrap with an elastic for a bouncy, chic ponytail. To cover up the elastic, you can wrap a bottom piece around it and secure it underneath with some bobby pins.
4. Spray the style with a mega-hold hairspray to keep the look in place all night. Try this heat-hesitant one by Tresemme.
Are you into ponytails for night? Let us know what you think in the comments below and on PAMPADOUR!
Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest in beauty sent straight to your inbox. Click HERE to subscribe now!