Effortless. Sexy. Cool. Beach waves are the quintessential warm weather hairstyle. It looks incredible on short hair or long, thin or thick, straight or curly. The best part? It really doesn’t take much effort and there’s a wide variety of ways to achieve the look. Read on for five different ways to get that perfectly messy, tousled look.
1. BRAID BEFORE YOU SLEEP: This is the lazy girl’s way to get beach waves. Post-shower, braid damp, towel-dried hair into a few braids. Separate into 2-6 braids, depending on how big you want your waves to be. Go to sleep and wake up with effortlessly sexy hair. Run your fingers through it and spritz with a sea salt spray, like the classic Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray, for more texture.
2. CURLING WAND: This is the way I curl my hair. It gives me that messy, beach look without too much time or effort. I use the Amika Switch Kit Starter Set, which comes with a detachable wand. You can interchange the barrels depending on the look you’re going for – they even have one specifically made for beach waves.
Before you begin curling, spritz your hair with a good heat protectant. TRESemme has a very affordable on that works well on any hair type. Then take one inch pieces of your hair, wrap around the barrel (leaving the bottom 2 inches out) and keep it there until your hair is warm to the touch. Make sure to use a heat protectant glove so you don’t burn yourself (the Amika set includes a glove). Once you’re done curling, let your hair cool, then run your fingers through your waves for a more natural, seamless look and spritz with hairspray.
Check out this awesome tutorial by Alexandrea Garza for a visual.
3. CRUNCH IT UP: If your hair is naturally wavy, you can get beach waves in under 2 minutes…seriously. Liberally spritz a sea salt spray, like OGX Moroccan Sea Salt Spray, to towel-dried hair and scrunch. Let it air dry and get that perfect beachy look.
4. CURL WITH A FLAT IRON: A flat iron, like the classic CHI, can be quite a multitasker – yup, you can use a flat iron to curly your hair. Take one inch sections of straight hair, clamp a few inches below the root, slowly move the iron down and rotate in a halfway turn. While you’re rotating, seamlessly move the iron down your hair. If you need a visual, check out this video by HeyKayli.
5. CURL WITH A CLASSIC CURLING IRON: Before using any hot tool, make sure to coat your hair with a heat protectant. Follow that up by brushing through to get rid of any tangles. Using a wide-barrel iron, take one inch sections of your hair, open the clamp, twist & curl, and move it down your hair, leaving out the bottom two inches. For beachy, messier waves, you should alternate between curling your hair towards and away from your face. To get a better idea of how to get waves using this method, watch this tutorial by MakeupByAlli.
Which method do you like for achieving perfect beachy waves? Let us know in the comments below and on PAMPADOUR.COM!
Image via AllWomenStalk