Kylie Jenner’s super sized lips have been the topic of discussion for over a year now. Is it injections? Is it overdrawing? Is it an app? Whatever it is, it’s something people apparently want to emulate. This past week, the #kyliejennerchallenge went viral on Twitter, with thousands of teens posting photos of them going to extreme measures to copy their favorite reality star. (One of my younger sisters even jumped on board…though I won’t name names!) They’re essentially putting their lips into a small glass and sucking as hard as they can…leading to popped blood vessels, extreme bruising and other not-so-cute results. For a less painful, safer way to achieve the iconic Kylie lips, read on for our guide to overdrawing with lip liner!
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO OVERDRAWING
1. Gather your tools: concealer that matches your skin tone, translucent powder, a natural-looking lip liner, a matching matte or satin lipstick, a lip gloss.
2. Take the concealer (my go-to is NARS’ Creamy Concealer in Ginger) and apply it around the perimeter of your lips to cover up the natural outline of your lips. For extra impact, apply some concealer to the center of your lips as well. This will create an illusion of fuller lips.
3. Dust translucent powder over your lips to set the concealer.
4. Take a sharpened lip liner, and carefully draw slightly outside the perimeter of your lips. If you exaggerate this too much, the look can come off clown-like or cartoonish. Try to keep it as close to your natural lip line as possible.
5. Going from the outside and working your way in, fill in your entire lip with the liner (if you applied concealer to the center, don’t cover that part up with liner). Draw in small strokes to keep it as natural as possible (use the same motion you would use to draw in your brows).
6. Once your lips are filled in, go over it with a natural lipstick. Kylie tends to go for brownish or mauve shades, rather than her sisters’ signature nudes. Keep reading for Kylie-inspired lipstick and liner recommendations!
7. To add a little more oopmh to the look, apply a bit of gloss to the center of both your bottom and top lips.
Voila! Fuller, naturally plump lips…pain-and-bruise-free!
KYLIE JENNER LIP COLORS
I’ve been into the ’90s lip color trend for a few months now, and it seems like Kylie is too. Check out some of the best lipsticks and liners to achieve her look.
Maybelline Creamy Matte Lipstick in Touch of Spice – I think Maybelline lipsticks are by far the best at the drugstore, and they trump many higher-end ones, too. This color in particular is incredible. It goes on so smoothly, lasts forever and feels weightless. It’s the perfect mix of brown and mauve; it’s the closest you can get to the classic Kylie color. ($7.99)
MAC Lipstick in Velvet Teddy – If you’re into brown, this will be your Holy Grail shade. I like to mix this with a dusty rose shade for a pinker lip, but it’s beautiful on its own too. As with most MAC lippies, it’s creamy and long-lasting. ($16)
NYX Butter Lipstick in Pops – I discovered this lippie thanks to Ipsy, and I’m obsessed. It’s so lightweight, creamy and dries to a beautiful satin finish. It’s a bit more on the nude side – great for a daytime or more subtle look. ($5.99)
Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in Spiked With Rum – This is the most wallet-friendly version of a Kylie lip color you will find. Wet n Wild lipsticks are actually pretty phenomenal considering their price point. Creamy, velvety and long-wearing, this mauve lipstick is a smart choice. ($2.29)
Milani Color Statement Lipliner in Spice – I cannot describe how beautiful this liner is…the picture doesn’t do it justice. It is so creamy, glides on so easily and doesn’t feather at all. The color is just perfect – it’s exactly what you imagine a Kylie lip liner to be. ($3.99)
MAC Lip Pencil in Whirl – It’s pretty well known that Kylie often fills in her lips with liner and that’s it. No lipstick, no gloss. This liner by MAC is her go-to – she put this pretty mauve pencil on the map. Try it yourself sans lipstick for the quintessential Kylie look! ($15)
Are you into the overdrawn lips look? Tell us in the comments below and on PAMPADOUR!