If you thought women doing anything and everything for the sake of beauty was a new world problem, guess again. Women have had little beauty tricks for centuries. Here, in chronological order, is a list of classic beauty secrets.
1. Hair Extensions – Extensions and wigs have been around for a long time…even Cleopatra was a fan! The trend came back in the ‘70s, and it has been a celebrity staple ever since.
2. Hair Dye – Another beauty trick that stems from ancient Egypt. Egyptians would use henna to camouflage their grays.
3. Artificial Nails – During the Ming Dynasty of China (1368-1644), noblewomen wore very long artificial nails as a status symbol. Even though they have been around for literally centuries, fake nails had a resurgence in popularity in the late 20th century.
4. Vaseline – A true beauty multitasker, Vaseline was trademarked all the way back in 1872. From extending lashes to making skin silky smooth, it is truly a girl’s best friend.
5. Eyelash Extensions – False lashes were discovered in quite a glamorous way: in Hollywood, of course. In 1919, a director wanted his leading lady to have lashes that would “make her eyes shine larger than life.” The modern day technique of single lash application gained popularity in Korea in 2004.
6. Concealer – Max Factor launched the first commercially distributed concealer in 1938. This compact miracle worker covers everything from blemishes to dark circles. It’s really a makeup lifesaver.
7. Wonderbra – The Wonderbra brand was released in 1939, but the iconic push-up we’ve come to associate with the company was launched in the US almost sixty years later, in 1994.
8. Sunless tanning – Fake or spray tanning rose in popularity in the 1960s, after the public became aware of the negative effects of too much sun exposure. Just be careful not to turn orange…no one thinks an Oompa Loompa tan is attractive!
9. Laser hair removal – For many women, hair removal is just another errand, a part of their extensive beauty routine. In the mid-‘90s, laser removal was introduced and changed absolutely everything. It was the first hair removal technique that could yield permanent results.
10. Spanx – The most recent beauty trick is a product we can’t imagine ever living without! Sara Blakely launched Spanx only twelve years ago, in 2000, but it has truly made a difference in the way women get dressed. How could something so simple and genius take so long to be invented?
Wonder what’s coming next…
Photo: Eva Herzigova in Wonderbra’s Campaign circa 1994