Your hair is the ultimate accessory. There are so many options and styles to try when it comes to hairdos, from loose chignons to perfect topknots. Below are eight of our favorite updos throughout history, including classics by movie stars, ballerinas, and even royalty.
1. The Audrey Hepburn – Everyone knows which updo this refers to… the classic from Breakfast at Tiffany’s features a beautiful crystallized clip right in the middle of her hair. Can you picture anyone getting this dressed up for window shopping and breakfast now?!
2. The Brigitte Bardot – The original bombshell. Bardot’s messy updo just oozed sex appeal. It may be forty years old, but even a modern-day girl would feel hot with this hairstyle.
3. The Julia Roberts – For one of her biggest career moments – her 2001 Oscar win – Julia Roberts decided to go dramatic. The larger-than-life ‘do is bold, intricate and simply gorgeous.
4. The Swirl – There are some styles that are so unique and crazy, only certain people can pull them off. Gwen Stefani is one of those people with her swirly, platinum blonde ‘do.
5. The Braid – Who says you have to pick just one hairstyle? Jessica Alba included a delicate braid in her intricate updo at the 2008 Oscars. Soft and feminine, this was a perfect showcase for just how beautiful an updo can be.
6. The Black Swan – Buns and ballerinas are practically synonymous. In the modern classic Black Swan, Natalie Portman’s ballerina character rocks more than a few updos, but the most memorable is her low chignon topped off with a tiara.
7. The Princess – For Princess Charlene’s 2011 wedding to Prince Albert of Monaco, the beauty went for a timeless chignon that was covered in crystals. Regal, feminine and beautiful, it was definitely a hairstyle worthy of royalty.
8. The Top Knot – The trendiest updo of the moment is the top knot. Sleek and simple, this ballerina-inspired ‘do is as pretty as it is easy to do. Beyonce makes it look effortless to take on the look.
For more updo inspiration, visit Pampadour.com.