It happens all the time: you have a happy hour or date night planned, and you don’t have time to go home and redo your makeup. There’s no need to stress! With a little preparation and some helpful tricks, you can transform your look from natural in the morning to glam at night in less than 10 minutes. Read on for our favorite tips to take your makeup from day to night.
WHAT YOU NEED:
-Cosmetics pouch to toss in your office bag (I choose from my collection of Ipsy bags!)
-Blotting papers or the BeautyBlender Blotterazzi
-One shimmery eyeshadow that can work on your entire lid
-Eyeliner (pencil or a liquid liner take up less space that a pot of gel liner, but use whatever works for you.)
-Bold lipstick or your favorite lip gloss
1. If you know you’re going to be going out that night, apply primer during your morning routine. This will ensure your foundation/concealer really lasts. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is one that really keeps makeup set for hours. Pricey, but incredible.
2. If your skin looks a little shiny (definitely happens to me after a few hours!), keep blotting papers in your desk. A swipe of Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets along your T-zone will mattify your face and give you a flawless base to begin your evening look.
3. When it comes to changing your look from morning to night, it’s completely up to you! Keep in mind that this post is just a guideline. If you’re in the mood to add a little sparkle to your eyes (definitely a nighttime upgrade), so with a metallic neutral that can go all over your lid. Doubt anyone wants to lug a full palette with them to work or an abundance of different brushes. Both Maybelline Color Tattoos (one of my Holy Grail drugstore picks!) and ColourPop shadows work as standalone shades. I love applying ColourPop’s Amaze for a shimmery pop – it’s a gorgeous shade that really flatters everyone.
4. A cat eye can instantly transform your look! If you have a few minutes to spare, add a wing using a black liquid liner. My current favorite is Marc Jacob’s Magic Marc’er. It’s waterproof and it has the finest tip I’ve ever seen on a liquid liner. It’s almost impossible to mess up your wing using this, and this is from someone who never thought they could master the cat eye. For a less expensive option, Jessie’s Girl is amazing – the calligraphy pen is so easy to use. For more tips on getting a flawless wing, check out this blog post.
5. Finish off your eyes with a coating of your favorite mascara. Travel-sized mascaras take up almost no space in your bag, and they’re just generally better in my opinion. Really loving Too Faced’s Better Than Sex right now. It’s volumizes, lengthens and curls, all at once. If you want to learn how to apply your mascara like a true professional (clumps be gone!), check out this post!
6. Blush is the one thing I find myself reapplying the most – I always want my cheeks to look as healthy and rosy as possible. Use one that won’t take up a lot of room in your bag. As much as I love my Milani Luminoso, it’s too bulky! I bring sleek NARS’ Orgasm with me for touch-ups. Also, remember to use a blush brush – the smaller, the better. I have a portable one by bareMinerals that I love.
7. When it comes to your lips, it’s all about personal preference. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a bold orange lip or a sultry berry stain. At other times, I just want a little bit of nude gloss. It depends on my outfit and the look I’m going for. Just grab one off of your vanity in the morning. The one thing I would suggest staying away from is a messy liquid lipstick. Use something that you know is easy to apply and doesn’t require a lot of time or a liner/lip brush.
8. A rollerball is a must for any bag! Quickly apply a bit to your wrists, on your neck, near any pulse points. You’ll be as fresh running into Happy Hour as you were on your morning commute. You can often get rollerballs as 100 point perks from Sephora or in subscription boxes. They’re really so useful and last forever.
What are your favorite day-to-night tricks? Do you like to play up your eyes, add a bold lip or both?! Let us know in the comments below and on PAMPADOUR.com!!
Image via Good Housekeeping
Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest in beauty sent straight to your inbox. Click HERE to subscribe now!