While beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, it is inarguable that the following ten looks are amongst the most memorable of all time. From Gwyneth to Angelina, these women made history with their Oscar beauty. Wonder if anyone will be added to the list this year after the upcoming 2013 Academy Awards on February 24.
1. Cher, 1986 – It’s standard to see wacky hair and outfits at The Grammys. From Lady Gaga to Nicki Minaj, singers are always trying to out-crazy each other. So it seems fitting that one of the most legendary songstresses, Cher, brought cuckoo Grammys style to the Academy Awards with an unbelievable 2-foot headpiece comprised of rooster feathers.
2. Juliette Lewis, 1992 – It’s rare to walk down a red carpet on Brad Pitt’s arm and have so many eyes on you. That’s exactly what happened when Juliette Lewis arrived at the ’92 Academy Awards with her then-boyfriend, sporting ridiculous cornrows. The look was even more confusing paired with her flapper-inspired ensemble, yet it was memorable for sure!
3. Nicole Kidman, 1997 – A trailblazer of the ‘90s, Nicole Kidman is a true fashion icon. She looked statuesque and glam side-by-side with her ex-husband, Tom Cruise. With a sleek strawberry-blonde chignon and deep red lips, Nicole’s look was sophisticated and unforgettable.
4. Gwyneth Paltrow, 1999 – For her fairytale moment (her 1999 win for Best Actress), Gwyneth decided to play the part by dressing up as a princess. In her classic pink Ralph Lauren ball gown, paired with simple makeup and a sleek chignon, she truly looked like royalty.
5. Halle Berry, 2002 – Halle made history as the first African-American to win Best Actress, so it seems fitting that she made fashion history as well. In a memorable peek-a-boo Elie Saab gown, she glowed, sporting her signature pixie cut and radiant makeup.
6. Natalie Portman, 2005 – Natalie can truly do no wrong. When she headed to the 2005 Academy Awards (a first-time nominee for her role in Closer), she could have easily veered into Blair Waldorf territory with her crystal headband. Instead, she looked young and effortlessly sophisticated with her Grecian-inspired look. She complemented the hair with subtle smoky eyes and dewy makeup.
7. Michelle Williams, 2006 – With platinum blonde hair, ruby red lips and a canary yellow Vera Wang gown, Michelle Williams embodied old Hollywood glamour at the 2006 show. This was the first look to showcase the former Dawson’s Creek star’s impeccable fashion sense…she has been a red carpet power player ever since.
8. Penelope Cruz, 2007 – Possibly the most beautiful Oscar look ever, Penelope Cruz shined in her feathered Atelier Versace ball gown. With soft neutral makeup and an updo that swept all of her hair neatly back, she let her natural beauty (and those gigantic diamonds!) do the talking.
9. Mila Kunis, 2011 – Nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Black Swan, Mila Kunis brought her A-game to the 2011 awards. Mila’s makeup and updo were picture perfect accompanying a ravishing lavender Elie Saab gown. The side bangs with the subtle smoky eye was extremely on trend and youthful.
10. Angelina Jolie, 2012 – While the most memorable part of Angie’s look that night was undoubtedly her permanently-posed leg, it’s worth noting that her hair and makeup choices were flawless. Her hair was perfectly highlighted, and she chose the perfect red shade to play up her legendary pillow lips. It’s a shame that looking back on that night, people will only remember her limb and not her impeccable beauty choices. Nevertheless, this moment will likely be the most historic.